Ten Garage Crime Prevention Tips
As we enter spring and summer, ensuring your garage - and your belongings within it - are secured becomes more important than ever, as garage crime increases around this time of year.
You may not keep a car in your garage, but that doesn't mean your garage isn't an attractive prospect to a thief.
Garages are particularly attractive to thieves for lots of reasons:
- Garages often contain valuable items which are easier to steal and easier to sell than just cars, such as power tools and bikes.
- Often left unattended as items are removed from the garage - for instance moving a barbecue to the garden
- Often not protected by an alarm system
- Often provide access to the house, via doors much easier to gain access through than front or back doors
- Provide cover for gaining access to the house
- Thieves often already know there are guaranteed valuable items in your garage - when you open the door they can see them!
With us accessing our garages more and more as the weather heats up there's increased opportunity for them to get a look at what's inside, and to gain access.
Here, Select Garage Door's team have compiled our top ten tips for protecting your garage from crime:
- 1. Consider extending your home's alarm system to the garage to detect intruders, or fit a separate garage alarm.
- 2. Upgrade your garage door locks to include steel lock bars
- 3. Don't show criminals what's inside. If you have windows in your garage cover them or make it difficult to see in using window films or frosted glass
- 4. Consider adding garage defenders - these not only add extra security but also act as a visible deterrent.
- 5. Lock valuable items up. This makes it harder for a thief to take, even if they get in.
- 6. Consider installing loop cables. These are long braided steel cables with a two-bolt anchor locking point. Fix them to the walls or floors and pass them through expensive property such as quad bikes, etc. Some cables are alarmed.
- 7. Check the external area around the garage entrance. Make it as hard as possible to hide from view by keeping it well lit and foliage trimmed.
- 8. Keep your garage door maintained - locks that look weak will be more attractive to a thief.
- 9. If your home is connected to the garage, keep this door locked at all times. Consider upgrading the door or locks.
- 10. And last but not least - ensure your garage door itself is up to the task! We manufacture bespoke garage doors in our UK factory, from the highest quality Magnelis Steel or GRP.